Dental veneers, also called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates, are hand crafted and custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials . Dental veneers are wafer-thin and designed to cover the front surface of your teeth in order to improve the overall appearance of your smile. Veneers are bonded onto the front of the teeth in order to change their size, shape, color, or length.
Dental veneers are a popular dental procedure because they can dramatically improve the appearance of your smile in a very short period of time. They are made from either porcelain or resin composite materials that are strong like your natural enamel. Between the two, porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains and have the ability to better mimic the light reflecting properties that natural teeth have. Either option also has one property that everyone loves… Veneers don’t get cavities!
What Problems Do Dental Veneers Fix?
Veneers are generally done to fix the following problems:
- Build up worn down teeth.
- Cover discolored teeth stained from tetracycline or other drugs, large resin fillings; or excessive fluoride.
- Cosmetically cover uneven or misaligned teeth, or ones that are irregularly shaped such as those that have bulges or craters in them
- Hide defects in broken or chipped teeth
- Widen teeth on either side of gaps
What Benefits Can You Get From Veneers?
- Since dental veneers are handmade, individually designed, and sculpted and color matched for each patient, it’s nearly impossible to spot the difference between a natural tooth and a veneer. Custom-made porcelain veneers also have the ability to resist stains from coffee, tea, and cigarette smoking because they are made from high-tech stain resistant materials.
- Veneers are better than crowns because they keep your natural teeth largely intact with only a small amount being altered in order to achieve good fit.
- Patients with teeth that resist whitening can get the bright white smile that they want through veneers no matter how dark their natural teeth may be.
- Veneers may be recommended by dentists to quickly fix any overlaps, minor twists, and small gaps in between the teeth. The alternative to this would be to use braces or Invisalign™ to straighten the teeth, which is a much longer process.
Learn more from Dr. Mabel Abraham, DDS about how dental veneers might be the best route for you to achieve the smile you have been wanting. Call today for an appointment or simply fill out the “Schedule an Appointment” app on the right side of this page to set a time to come in and see Dr. Mabel Abraham, DDS.